A letter from Kirsty
May 24, 2017
Dear Supporters and Friends
It has been a while since I have updated you on the work of Alola Australia.
Much has happened since I was last in touch with you, and our partnership with Fundasaun Alola is yielding results. Any success we have had would not have been realized without you, our valued supporters and friends.
As we approach the end of the financial year, Alola Australia is seeking your help. So that we are better able to support our Alola friends and partners in Timor-Leste, we have recently applied and been granted deductible-gift recipient (DGR) status, which means any donation above $2 is now tax-deductible.
In 2017, Fundasaun Alola remains committed to creating better conditions for women and children in Timor-Leste.
To that end, I am proud to report that your donations last year helped women and children across several areas but our fundraising specifically helped:
- 2,600 new mothers at 4 hospitals with skin to skin contact and breastfeeding support;
- New mothers, with 844 maternity packs being distributed across 4 districts;
- Over 1,700 people participated in birth preparedness programs in 18 villages;
- Over 500 students were assisted to develop their literacy through the mobile library program;
- Dozens of teachers participated in training to increase their skills and quality of learning; and
- 150 students were assisted when the scholarship program expanded students’ education opportunities.
Alola Australia is committed to keeping organizational costs to a minimum so that most of the funds raised are transferred to Fundasaun Alola. In 2016, this commitment was achieved due to the significant unpaid voluntary work carried out by a very special team of people. Thanks to this hard work, you can be confident that your donations are reaching their intended recipients.
Please support Alola again before 30 June 2017, to specifically focus funds in support of the Economic Empowerment Program, coordinated by Fundasaun Alola.
Here is an overview of this empowering work:
You can Support Alola with a donation right here!
I remain sincerely grateful for your support and want you to know that your friendship and solidarity will continue to make a difference in Timor-Leste.
Dr Kirsty Sword Gusmão, AO
Chair, Fundasaun Alola