Fundraising for Alola Australia
Fundraising is a fun and meaningful way to contribute. Fundraising helps spread the word of Alola Australia and Fundasaun Alola with friends, colleagues and broader networks.
If you are thinking about holding a fundraiser, please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org for a copy of our latest fundraising information and to sign our fundraising agreement. All fundraisers must be approved by the Alola Australia board.
To get you started, here are some popular fundraising ideas:
Fundraise in celebration
In lieu of gifts on your birthday, at Christmas, for your wedding or any other celebration, you could ask your friends and family to instead make a donation to Alola Australia. You could even align your event to one of Fundasaun Alola’s program areas, for example:
- Baby shower or first birthday – donations go towards Alola’s Maternal Child Health Program
- School fundraising event – donations go towards Alola’s Education Program
- Business launch or proceeds from sales – donations go towards Alola’s Economic Empowerment Program
- Conference or guest speaker event – donations go towards Alola’s Advocacy Program
Join a fun run
Or walk, or swim, or cycle! There are plenty of events across Australia that allow you to get out there in your community and raise money for the charity of your choice. Most established events will have a fundraising page that you can set up and select Alola Australia as your cause.
These type of events are a great way to keep your friends and family involved as you share your preparations and participation in the event.
Popular events include:
- Marathon festivals (in each capital city)
- Colour Run events (in each capital city)
- Peaks cycling challenge
Host an event
Whether it’s a garage sale, a morning tea at work or a movie night at movie theatre — throwing an event for your friends, family and the wider community is a great way to fundraise.
Take your fundraiser to the next level
Here are some additional things to consider to make sure you reach the most amount of people you can and raise as much money as possible for Fundasaun Alola.
- Holding a raffle or competition at your fundraising event can really boost fundraising amounts. Asking local businesses in your area to consider donating an item to be won is a great way to source prizes. You can tell them you’ll display their logo at your event, which is great free local PR!
- It always helps to tell people a bit about the cause you’re supporting. Make sure you’ve read up on Alola Australia and Fundasaun Alola. Tell them that by supporting you, you are helping give women and children in Timor-Leste the chance for a stronger future. Learn more about Alola Australia and Fundasaun Alola on our About Us page here.
- Advertising your fundraising efforts! You’re doing a great thing, and we want people to know about it! Make sure you post to your social media channels with information, updates, photos and anything you can to build interest. If you are going to fundraise in celebration, make sure you give your wedding/birthday party guests plenty of notice about your wishes (before they buy you a present!). Pop it on the invite and include the link to your fundraising page.
- Take photos at your event or on your fun run and share it on social media, so the people who supported you can see it. Remember to thank everyone and let everyone know how much money you were able to raise and how much that will help people living with an eating disorder.
- Get your friends and family involved! Having a support crew to help you put on your fundraising event will not only make it easier — it will be more fun too.